Also: Angela accidentally discovers the secret to a good night’s sleep.
* * *
Relevant Research & References
Here’s where you can learn more about the people and ideas in this episode:
- Ellen Langer, professor of psychology at Harvard University.
- Wendy Wood, professor of psychology and business at the University of Southern California.
- Colin Camerer, professor of behavioral economics at the California Institute of Technology.
- William Dement (deceased), professor of sleep science and medicine at Stanford University.
- “The Neuroeconomics of Habit,” by Colin Camerer, Peter Landry, and Ryan Webb (SSRN, 2021).
- “Sleep Hygiene: What It Is, Why It Matters, and How to Revamp Your Habits to Get Better Nightly Sleep,” by Eric Suni and Nilong Vyas (Sleep Foundation, 2020).
- “Mindfulness.” by Ellen Langer and Christelle Ngnoumen (Frontiers of Social Psychology – Positive Psychology: Established and Emerging Issues, 2018).
- “Habit in Personality and Social Psychology,” by Wendy Wood (Personality and Social Psychology Review, 2017).
- “The Sleepless Elite,” by Melinda Beck (The Wall Street Journal, 2011).
- “The Management of Unwanted Pre-Sleep Thoughts in Insomnia: Distraction with Imagery versus General Distraction,” by Allison Harvey and Suzanna Payne (Behavior Research and Therapy, 2002).
- Some Must Watch While Some Must Sleep, by William Dement (1972).
- Mindfulness, Ellen Langer (1989).
- “A Sense of Where You Are,” by John McPhee (The New Yorker, 1965).